Customizing the Theme
The Cardinal WordPress theme was designed to be customized, making it easy for you to create a site that is both uniquely yours and consistent with Stanford’s home page.
The bulk of the customization is done on the Appearance > Customize admin page. From this page you can customize:
- the site’s branding (whether or not to display the Stanford brand bar and / or Stanford’s universal footer);
- the site’s logo (optional);
- the site’s title and tagline (optional);
- the banner image and caption displayed on your site’s homepage;
- what your home page displays – a static page or your most recent posts;
- the layout of your home page, author pages and listing pages, and the default layouts of pages and posts;
- what information is displayed on author pages; and
- various theme options.
You can also specify a few things on the Appearance > Cardinal Options page, including:
- your Google Analytics tracking id;
- the version of Font Awesome you’d like to use (the Cardinal Info Box widget uses Font Awesome icons); and
- custom CSS to make small changes to the look of the site.
Cardinal Custom theme
If you’re familiar with developing WordPress themes and would like to develop a customized version of the Cardinal WordPress theme, the Cardinal Custom theme is a child theme based on Cardinal, ready to be customized. The Cardinal Custom theme is delivered together with Cardinal, so if you’ve deployed Cardinal, you already have Cardinal Custom.
If you would like technical information on how Cardinal and Cardinal Custom are built, or advice on how to code Cardinal Custom, please open a HelpSU ticket.